I didn't tell anyone I was doing this, not even John! A blogger I read posts a Good Things wrap-up of each month, and I decided to try it this year. So, one good thing that happened on each day of January...
1. I started Couch to 5k.
2. The Ole Miss Rebels won the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma State 21-7.
3. I finished a good book and made a yummy chicken pot pie.
4. It snowed! It came down in beautiful flakes for about five hours, and even though there was no accumulation, it made me happy.
5. The boy had a bad diaper rash from getting his two-year molars, and I was able to take him to the doctor right away and get medicine that helped him feel better.
6. Rush Limbaugh returned to the radio after his chest pains (which turned out to be nothing serious). Yay Rush!
7. I weighed myself and found that I had lost 2.6 pounds after a week of sort-of doing Weight Watchers on my own.
8. It was a dangerously cold day (the high was 20), but I got to stay in my warm house all day with the boy. That night, John and I had Bop’s hot chocolate.
9. I went to the newer Kroger by myself and mapped out the store for an organized shopping list. Little things make me happy!
10. I had a sore throat and was able to stay home from church by myself and indulge in my fascination with the English royal family by watching episode three of Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work.
11. The boy and I stayed in our jammies and spent much of the day playing in his room, building towers out of Mega Bloks.
12.I watched The Bachelor and was so incredibly grateful that I’m not husband-hunting. Well, mostly I’m grateful I was never as desperate as those women are! And my single girlfriends are not like those girls, thank the Lord!
13. Due to the continued water outages in Jackson, Wednesday night church stuff was canceled, and we had breakfast for dinner at home instead!
14. The weather was very nice and we stayed out on the playground for a long time.
15. It was hard to find something happy on this day, because I had a really bad sinus infection. I guess the best thing was that the boy and I stayed in our jammies all day and I had a great nap in the middle of the day while he napped.
16. We slept late and had a good breakfast, and I got to read a lot!
17. Stayed home from church again due to the sinus infection that wouldn’t die. But! Most of the day was spent on the couch reading! That’s what Sunday afternoons are for.
18. I did the weekly grocery shop and saved almost $30 by using coupons and store deals.
19. At work, we spent the WHOLE morning outside. It was beautiful out there! Also, I took John to work because his car was in the shop, and I got coffee at Seattle Drip on the way home.
20. More time on the playground at work, and I had a good chat with my friend Kathryn over supper at church.
21. John cooked supper! He grilled turkey burgers and tater tots and they were yummy.
22. We had supper at Jason’s Deli and had really sweet family time. We also discovered that the boy will happily drink milk again, as long as it’s chocolate!
23. During the boy’s nap in the afternoon (and while Daddy was home, of course), I took a little time for myself and went to the library, Borders, Target, and a couple stores looking for spring/summer clothes for the boy. It did me a world of good!
24. After church, I took myself to the movies to see Leap Year. I enjoyed it!
25. Instead of running errands like I usually do on Mondays, the boy and I stayed home and in our jammies all day. I think we both needed it. I got some needed housework done, too, and that night I was finally able to go walking in the neighborhood again. That sinus infection hung around forever!
26. It was GORGEOUS outside, and we spent all the time we could on the playground. Everybody’s spirits are better on those days! (The boy is also 26 months old today!)
27. At choir practice, our director handed out photocopied first pages of Handel’s “Hallelujah Chorus” with the words changed to a made-up happy birthday song. We stood to sing and our sweet organist started playing and slowly turned beet red as she realized we were singing to her. It was awesome.
28. My sweet boy spent the morning on the playground gathering up rocks and bringing them to me. I think I should save them all and buy a tumbler that makes rocks all shiny, and keep them forever.
29. The boy and I drove to Hattiesburg today in a torrential downpour. We made it there safely, though, and spent the night with my parents!
30. The boy and I had fun in Hattiesburg and got him some cute spring clothes. The drive back was rain-free, thankfully!
31. The month ended with a quiet Sunday at home with my fellas after church. John and I watched most of the Grammys together, too.